The Newborough Football Netball Club is a sporting club located in the township of Newborough. The club was established in 1957 and has continued to play within the Mid Gippsland League the entire time.
Over 60 years ago, a small but enthusiastic group decided that they would try to form an Australian Rules team in Newborough. This group included J. Middlemiss, J. Wyllie, R. Wolfe, J. Hardy, T. Gannon, K. Fanning, B. Knight, F. Feely, D. Sheldon-Collins and T. Hughes. On this excited group of men fell the huge task of raising money, finding equipment, players, supporters and local businessmen who would be prepared to give their time, money and energy to this idea!
The group were successful in their efforts and in 1957, the Newborough Football Club was formed. The newly formed club approached the V.F.L club, Footscray to gain their backing and were once again successful gaining the assistance with papers and the donation of balls and jumpers plus other equipment that was needed.
The Newborough Football Club then appointed Kevin Fanning as the Senior Coach who led the Club in our first game in the Mid Gippsland Football League on Saturday, 13th of April 1957 against Hill End. In our first season of football, the Senior team won 4 games and the Seconds claimed 2 wins. In the following year, the club emerged as a rising power and in 1959, the Newborough Football Club had won our first Premiership.